Frequently Asked Questions

If you are shipping any regulated material (including aerosols, paints, chemicals, batteries, just to name a few) you should be trained in the regulations and be aware of the hazards that your products pose. If you are still not sure, please contact us at 855.637.9566 or email us at [email protected]
Training Tags: 

That is our specialty! We conduct classroom as well as "hands on" training of actual tank cars and trucks. We provide detailed information on grounding and bonding, industry standard securement techniques and best practices that will improve comprehension and understanding of the rules and regulations.

Absolutely!  We assist companies that transport by rail, vessel, airplane or truck. TCA's industry professionals manage our clients shipping operations by providing a complete compliance program to fit your needs or providing the following services: hazmat consulting, regulatory compliance auditing, security vulnerability studies, transportation classification, rail car tracking and tracing, ship guides and more.   Contact a TCA member today for more information on our services at 855.637.9566 and email us at [email protected] 

DOT, ground shipment training needs to be completed every 3 years. Also, employees are required to re-trained if their job position changes, or a change in regulation that affects their position.
Training Tags: 

 As your compliance partner, TCA is available after training and throughout the length of the certification to answer additional questions for our clients.

TCA provides a variety of training packages to suit your needs. Contact a TCA member today at 855.637.9566 or email us at [email protected]!

Yes. Consumer Commodities are listed as ORM-D in the hazardous materials table §171.101.

Yes, we have a full suite of domestic and international regulatory trainings available. Please go to:

DOT requires any hazmat shipper to be trained in the following areas:
  • General awareness/familiarization
  • Function-specific, training
  • Safety
  • Security awareness
  • In-depth security training, if a security plan is required
Training Tags: 

DOT requires training at least once every three years.  IATA training is required every 24 months.

Employees are required to re-trained if their job position changes, or a change in regulation that affects their position

View our Training Options to become certified today!

Training Tags: 

A person who is employed by a hazardous materials employer and directly affects hazardous materials (hazmat) transportation safety.

Transporters of certain quantities of hazardous materials are required to register with the US DOT. 

 A civil penalty would be something that is not intentional; such as misspelling the proper shipping name on your shipping paper, not being properly trained or misclassifying a hazardous material for shipment.

A criminal penalty is knowingly and willfully violating the regulations; such as knowing your product is hazardous and not classifying or shipping it per regulations.

It depends but they could request to see a copy of the training material used to meet the requirements, a signup sheet for the training or record of training, and copies of the certifications of who has been trained and your bill of ladings, and your hazmat registration or security plan if you are required to have one.

The regulations state anyone who is involved with the shipment of the hazardous materials whether it be packaging, marking, labeling, placarding or filling out the shipping paperwork, all of those actions are considered pre-transportation functions which would require a person to be trained.

An overpack, as defined in the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations is an enclosure used by a single shipper to contain one or more packages and to form one handling unit for convenience of handling and stowage. 

Any markings and labels contained on the specification packagings on the inside of the overpack must be transposed to the outside of the overpack.

No, It will depend on the material and if it is not forbidden for shipment by limited quantity. 

No, Limited quantities must be shipped in a combination package.

Yes, in the event that you are shipping both hazmat and non hazmat you can either list the hazmat first, highlight the hazmat entries, or use a different color type to differentiate the hazmat’s from the non-hazmats or if you have a HM column on your bill of lading, place and “X” in the HM column next to each hazmat entry.

Your shipment is in commerce when it is placed on any public road or highway. It is connected to DOT because regulations apply to the shipments of hazardous materials when they are in commerce. If you are just transporting the hazardous materials around your facility and never crossing a public highway you are not in commerce then the regulations do not apply. Railcars are always in commerce because they are always on their tracks or road and therefore in commerce at all times.


A Combustible Liquid is only recognized in North America and is 141 degrees F or higher .  A Flammable Liquid is recognized nationally and is 60-140 degrees F.


It is a hazardous material that is packaged in a form intended for suitable retail sale. They are generally small packages. The shipping name includes items such as Cosmetics, Paints, Aerosols, Medicines, Nail Polish, etc.

Yes.  As a hazardous materials shipper, you are required to train your employees involved in shipping Consumer Commodity shipments by Ground or Ocean every 3 years, by Air every 2 years.

Per the US 49CFR :
§173.144 Other Regulated Material (ORM)—Definitions.
Until December 31, 2020 and for the purposes of this subchapter, “ORM-D material” means a material such as a Consumer commodity, Cartridges, small arms, Cartridges, power devices (used to project fastening devices), Cartridges for tools, blank, and Cases, cartridge, empty with primer, which, although otherwise subject to the regulations of this subchapter, presents a limited hazard during transportation due to its form, quantity and packaging. The article or substance must be a material for which exceptions are provided in Column (8A) of the §172.101 Hazardous Materials Table.

  • Placarding of trucks is not required.
  • A signed shippers certfiication is not required for GROUND shipments.
  • UN approved packaging is not required.

Yes, and no.

Internationally - they require a Class 9 Miscellaneous Hazard Label.

Domestically - they require a rectangular ORM-D Marking or "ORM-D Air" for shipments by UPS Air or USPS.

ORM-D is the Domestic Classification for ground shipments.  Class 9 is the classification by IATA for Air shipments.  The ORM-D rule has been extended to be used until December 31, 2020. As of January 1, 2021 it will no longer be used and you will have to ship using the limited quantity exception.

Yes, if you are shipping, receiving or handling any hazardous materials in the US.

Training Tags: 

The DOT requires that any hazmat employee training must receive the following trainings:

  • General awareness
  • Function Specific
  • Safety
  • Security

Once trained in these areas the employee must receive certification by the employer that the employee is capable of performing those functions.The employer must keep a copy of the record of training which includes:

  • Employees name
  • Most recent completed training date
  • The name and address of the person providing the and
  • A description, copy, or the location of the training materials used to meet the requirements
  • Certification that the hazmat employee has been trained and tested.

TCA has several training options and we will be glad to discuss which training would meet your specific needs.: Onsite, Webinar and Online.

Training Tags: 

Some materials are excepted from the regulations in very small quantities and some are able to be shipped with a set of limited regulations.  However, even though they are excepted or shipped as a limited quantity these materials are still regulated and in order to know the difference you need to be trained.

Training Tags: 

A hazardous material is defined as: a substance or material that the Secretary of Transportation has determined is capable of posing an unreasonable risk to health, safety, and property when transported in commerce, and has been designated as hazardous.


Training Tags: 

If you are considered a hazmat employee, then you are required by law to be trained. DOT regulations provide for civil and criminal penalties. You and your employer can be assesses a penalty for not being properly trained.

Training Tags: 

Yes if you ship by air, you will need IATA/ICAO training. If you ship by vessel, you will IMDG training. If you ship by ground, you will need DOT 49 CFR training.

Training Tags: 

Anyone who ships, receives or handles hazardous materials that would affect air transportation.  If you load, unload, fill, package, mark, label, placard, select a package or complete a dangerous goods declaration you need to be trained.

Training Tags: 

Anyone who ships, receives or handles hazardous materials that would affect transportation safety.  If you load, unload, fill, package, mark, label, placard, select a package, complete a shipping paper or hazardous waste manifest, segregate hazardous materials on a transport vehicle, block and brace hazardous materials, or classify a hazardous material you need to be trained.

Training Tags: 

Every 24 months of the intial training.

Training Tags: 

No. The IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations do not require that training be provided by an accredited or endorsed training provider. [IATA DGR 1.5] The IATA Accredited Training Provider program is a voluntary program.

Training Tags: 

Dangerous goods are articles or substances which are capable of posing a risk to health, safety, property or the environment and which are covered under the IATA regulations.

Training Tags: 

Although it is not required, we recommend that you have the IATA manual in front of you during the training.  You will need to be proficient in using the manual going forward.

Training Tags: 

Yes. Training violations have a minimum fine around $450 per day.

Training Tags: 

Anyone who ships, receives or handles hazardous materials that would affect vessel transportation.  If you load, unload, fill, package, mark, label, placard, select a package or complete a dangerous goods declaration you need to be trained.

Training Tags: 

Every 3 years.

Training Tags: 

TCA will reference the IMDG Code throughout the training. We would recommend that you have the manual in front of your during training.

Training Tags: 

Dangerous Goods are solids, liquids or gasses that can harm people, other living organisms, property, or the environment. They are often subject to chemical reactions.

Training Tags: 

Yes. Training violations have a minimum fine around $450 per day.

Training Tags: