IATA Significant Changes and Amendments to the 62 Edition (2021)
2020 wouldnâ€™t be complete without yet another change before the end of the year. If you had a Sharknado, fire from the sky, or the rise of Atlantis on your 2020 bingo card youâ€™re thankfully wrong. However, if you guessed the 62nd Edition of The International Air Transport Associationâ€™s (IATA) new edition of its Dangerous Goods Regulations (DGR), then you can use your dabber to mark that 2020 bingo card.
While not as exciting, or as dangerous as a Sharknado, the new additions bring about some important changes:
- Changes to the Training Requirements– mainly competency based training
- Classification– Addition of new criteria to address solid medical waste containing category A infectious substances
- List of Dangerous Goods– Addition of new UN numbers and proper shipping names, including Dangerous goods in articles, Medical waste, Category A, affecting humans and Medical waste, Category A, affecting animals
- Special provisions– Additional requirements for shipping lithium batteries, environmentally hazardous substances and dangerous goods in machinery or apparatus
- Packing– New text added to clarify packagings may meet more than one tested design type and bear more than one UN specification mark
- Marking and Labeling– Revision to clarify height of the UN/ID number and letters on packages
And donâ€™t forget, mandatory compliance with the new changes starts January 1, 2021!
If youâ€™re like most of us, you too have little time to stay up-to-date with the ever-changing world of hazmat shipping/transportation. Which is exactly why you should opt-in to our newsletter or follow our blog. Most reads are under 5 min and offer you the highlights of all the important changes like the ones listed above. So, whether you need guidance on hot topics, training, or a complete compliance solution, Transportation Compliance Associates can handle all your needs. For a FREE consultation call us at (724) 899-4100 or check us out at learnhazmat.com and one of our team members will help you decide what industry leading training and compliance program best suits your needs,