EXTRA EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT!
PHMSA Issues NPRM
Stay in the Know
With so many regulating bodies making continuous Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) and Final Rules, itâ€™s easy to miss out on crucial lifesaving and financially beneficial information for your industry. Take for instance, did you hear about all the changes put forth in August Notice of Proposed Rule Making issued by the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA)? There was over 15 plus items put up for change!
To help alleviate some of your regulatory burdens, PHMSA has adopted some of the miscellaneous petitions and opened the comment period until October 15, 2019. In their response, they address a multitude of topics to include, but not limited to packaging, hazardous communication, and incorporation by reference documents. These include:
- Prohibit the use of rail tank cars with shell heads constructed of non-normalized steel for transportation of poison by-inhalation materials after December 31, 2020.
- Harmonize the limited quantity exception for more than 100 entries for corrosive materials in the Hazardous Material Table (HMT).
- Prohibit after December 31, 2027, the use of certain rail tank cars for the transportation of PIH materials.
- Limited Quantity shipments of Hydrogen Peroxide
- Revise Â§ 173.302(b)(2) to allow a minimum height of 12 mm (0.47 inches) for a proper shipping name marked on a portable tank with a capacity of less than 3,785 L (1,000 gallons).
- Incorporate by reference updated versions of multiple Compressed Gas Association (CGA) publications.
- Revise Â§ 173.308(d)(3) to harmonize with the IMDG Code by removing the requirement for a closed transport container to have the warning mark â€˜â€˜WARNINGâ€”MAY CONTAIN EXPLOSIVE MIXTURES WITH AIRâ€” KEEP IGNITION SOURCES AWAY WHEN OPENINGâ€™â€™ when transporting lighters.
While this is not all the changes and adoptions put forth, you can read the NPRM in its totality HERE.
Smarter Not Harder!
In a fast-paced world and an even faster paced industry, itâ€™s easy to fall behind. Thatâ€™s why you should let us take out the guess work for you. We understand, the regulations can be daunting and time consuming. Thatâ€™s why we read them and provide you with the crucial information youâ€™re looking for. When opting-in to our Newsletter, you will automatically receive said industry new, regulation changes, and exclusive offers to help you stay in compliance. If thatâ€™s not enough for you, we also offer industry leading training, consulting, and full compliance solutions. For a FREE consultation, you can reach us at (724) 899-4100 or check us out at learnhazmat.com and one of our team members will help you decide what industry leading training and compliance program best suits your needs.