IATA DGR 61st Edition (2020)
Estimated to be released for purchase in October 2019, is the newly designed and updated 61st edition of the International Air Transportation Associationâ€™s Dangerous Goods Regulations otherwise known as IATA DGR. If it is not a mouthful, it canâ€™t be a governing body.
What Is IATA DRG?
The IATA DRG has been the globally recognized standard for the airline industry for 60 years. It is considered the â€œgold standardâ€ for how to safely and correctly ship, mark, label, and package hazardous materials for transportation by air internationally. It is updated annually to ensure the most up to date information is available to ensure compliance with the ever-changing world of hazardous materials regulations.
Mandatory compliance with the new edition takes effect January 1, 2020.
Included in the update to the 61st edition of IATAâ€™s DGR are:
- Section 2: Limitations
- Section 4: Lists of Dangerous Goods- Specifically section (4.2) UN numbers 3449, 3077, 3082, 2389, 3536, and 1700
- Section 5: Packing- Specifically packing instructions related to PI 650, 960, Y960, 968, and 970
- Section 7: Marking and Labeling- Clarification about placement for limited quantity mark, environmentally hazardous substance mark, and lithium battery mark.
- Section 8: Documentation-
- Specifically changes to Subsection 1.5 Dangerous Goods Training
- 4 New UN Numbers- 3 for explosives and 1 for Category A medical waste
- A new Appendix I that provides detail about changes going in effect January 1, 2020
While this is not a total all-encompassing list of the changes, it does highlight some of the major changes taking effect January 1, 2020. For a full list of the changes click HERE.
To stay up to date with all things Hazmat and transportation donâ€™t forget to opt-in to our newsletter where you can receive updates on Reg. changes, industry news, and exclusive offers. Whether you need training or a complete compliance solution, Transportation Compliance Associates can handle all your needs. For a FREE consultation call us at (724) 899-4100 or check us out at learnhazmat.com and one of our team members will help you decide what industry leading training and compliance program best suits your needs.