In response to industry petition regarding several provisions set forth in the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR), the Department of Transportation (DOT) Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) has proposed 19 Amendments to update, clarify, improve the safety of, or provide relief from various regulatory requirements.
Those affected by the changes would include, but not limited to: the rail tank car industry, portable tanks, mobile refrigerant units, and other transportation industry staples. PHMSA has said they will accept comments until October 15, 2019, but will consider late-filed comments as a final rule is developed.
Listed below is a small sample of the proposed changes:
- Phase-Out of Non-Normalized Tank Cars Used to Transport PIH Materials
- Markings on Portable Tanks– Allowing a minimum height of 12mm (0.47in) for proper shipping name markings on portable tanks with a capacity of less than 3,000 L (792.52 gallons).
- Limited Quantity Harmonization- PHMSA harmonize Column (8A) of the HMT for limited quantities for 45 proper shipping names.
- Mobile Refrigeration Units- proposes to allow the continued use of mobile refrigeration units placed into service prior to 1991 that meet the 250 pounds per square inch (psig) service pressure specification.
- Special Provisions for Explosives- requesting to harmonize the HMR with the UN Model Regulations
To see a full list of the proposed changes click HERE.
If you have made it this far, I can only assume you too understand knowledge is power in the ever-evolving world of hazardous materials. To stay up to date with all things Hazmat and transportation donâ€™t forget to opt-in to our newsletter where you can receive updates on Reg. changes, industry news, and exclusive offers. Whether you need training or a complete compliance solution, Transportation Compliance Associates can handle all your needs. For a FREE consultation call us at (724) 899-4100 or check us out at learnhazmat.com and one of our team members will help you decide what industry leading training and compliance program best suits your needs.