Final Rule Alert: EPA
Death, Taxes, and…
They say there are only two certainties in life, death and taxes. I would like to make a case for anotherâ€¦ increased civil penalties from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) (or other government entities). On December 23, 2020, the EPA issued its final rule on the increase to maximum civil penalties to keep pace with inflation. Listed below are the current maximum assessment which will guide the EPA in the new year. Keep in mind these figures are typically assessed on a per violation, per day basis (which can add up quickly) and while the maximum penalty is not common, these figures again will help guide the EPA in its decision making.
These increased penalties will apply to violations occurring after November 2, 2015 and for which penalties are assessed on or after December 23, 2020.
The most common affected programs listed below all received a 1.18% increase
- Clean Air Act (CAA)- from $75,867 to $76,764
- Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA)- from $58, 328 to $59,017
- Clean Water Act (CWA)- from $55800 to $56, 460
- Emergency Planning/Right to Know Act (EPCRA)- from $58,328 to $59, 017
- Fed Insecticide, Fungicide/Rodentcide Act (FIFRA)- from $20,288 to $20,528
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)- from $75, 867 to $76,764
- Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA)- from $58,328 to $59,017
- Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA)- from $40, 576 to $41,056
For a complete look at the Final Rule click HERE!
But hey, donâ€™t fret too much, we made it through 2020 and youâ€™re already starting off 2021 on the right foot by educating yourself more by reading this short article. And if youâ€™re like most of us, you still feel like you have too little time to stay up-to-date with the ever-changing world of hazmat shipping and transportation. Which is exactly why you should opt-in to our newsletter or follow our blog. Most reads are under 5 min and offer you the highlights of all the important changes like the one listed above. So, whether you need guidance on hot topics, training, or a complete compliance solution, Transportation Compliance Associates can handle all your needs. For a FREE consultation call us at (724) 899-4100 or check us out at learnhazmat.com and one of our team members will help you decide what industry leading training and compliance program best suits your needs.