PHMSA: Wants to Know What You Think
Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace
From time to time, The Department of Transportation (DOT) Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) will amend the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR) to “clarify, improve…, or streamline various regulatory requirements.” On March 2, 2023, PHMSA did just that when they published their Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) to adopt 18 petitions for rulemaking which were submitted between May 2018 and October 2020.
Listed below are some of the proposed changes which PHMSA would like your input on:
- Allow for appropriate flexibility of packaging options in the transportation of compressed natural gas in cylinders.
- Provide greater clarity on the filling requirements for certain cylinders used to transport hydrogen and hydrogen mixtures.
- Provide greater clarity by requiring a specific marking on cylinders to indicate compliance with certain HMR provisions.
- Provide greater flexibility and accuracy in hazard communication by allowing additional descriptions for certain gas mixtures.
- Modify the definition of ‘‘liquid’’ to include the test for determining fluidity (penetrometer test) prescribed in the agreement concerning the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road (ADR).
- Incorporate by reference the updated Appendix A of CGA publication C–7–2020, ‘‘Guide to Classification and Labeling of Compressed Gases,’’ Eleventh Edition.
- Incorporate by reference the CGA publication CGA C–29–2019, ‘‘Standard for Design Requirements for Tube Trailers and Tube Modules, First Edition.’’
For a full look at all the proposed change you can click HERE! To submit your comment and be heard, you have until May 2, 2023. The easiest method to submit your comment is likely the Federal eRulemaking Portal at www.regulations.gov. And don’t forget to mark you submission with the docket number (PHMSA–2020–0102 [HM–219D]) before May 2, 2023.
In the meantime, if you enjoyed this short read, make sure to follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn to be the first to know when new content drops. You can also opt-in to our newsletter where you will find exclusive offers, more industry news and reg. changes. And if you’re after industry leading training or compliance program help, feel free to contact us at 412-249-1111 or visit us at www.learnhazmat.com for a 100% FREE CONSULTATION and one of our subject matter experts are standing by to help you achieve your training and compliance goals!