PHMSA Releases a New NPRM
Pipeline Safety Updates
PHMSA Releases a New NPRM Pipeline Safety Updates With the worldwide popularity of the pipe warping brothers, The Super Mario Bros, I thought I would bring you some pipeline news of my own. Recently on May 18, 2023, the department of Transportation’s (DOT) Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) released a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) covering gas pipeline leak detection and repair amendments. Within the NPRM, the effected types of pipelines include existing gas transmission pipelines, distribution pipelines, regulated (Types A, B, C, and offshore) gas gathering facilities. Proposed changes include:
- Strengthened leakage survey and patrolling requirements.
- Performance standards for advanced leak detection programs.
- Leak grading and repair criteria with mandatory repair timelines.
- Requirements for mitigation of emissions from blowdowns.
- Pressure relief device design, configuration, and maintenance requirements.
- Clarified requirements for investigating failures.
- Expanded reporting requirements for operators of all gas pipeline facilities within DOT’s jurisdiction, including underground natural gas storage facilities and liquefied natural gas facilities.
For those who wish to make a comment, all comments must be submitted by July 17, 2023. For a full look at the NPRM you can click HERE NOW! if you enjoyed this short read, make sure to follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn to be the first to know when new content like this drops. You can also, opt-in to our newsletter for exclusive offers, regulation changes, and industry news! But, if you are looking for industry leading training or compliance solutions make sure to contact us for a 100% FREE CONSULTATION at 412-249-1111 or visit us at www.learnhazmat.com and one of our dedicated team members will be waiting to help answer all your questions about achieving your safety and compliance goals!