Itâ€™s a new year and a new regulation addendum. Actually, itâ€™s the first addendum to the 61st Edition IATA (International Air Transportation Association) Dangerous Goods Regulation (DRG). Itâ€™s fitting that it should take effect January 1, 2020. With everyoneâ€™s New Yearâ€™s resolutions and all. If your reading this, maybe your New Yearâ€™s resolution is like many, to read more. What better way to start the new year than educating yourself about the confusing world of hazmat shipping?
If youâ€™re new to air shipments and need a place to start, or even a refresher, our IATA training certificates have been accepted by common shipping carriers such as (DHL, FEDEX, UPS, etc.).
The first addendum to IATA DRG aims to correct and amend text which include amendments such as:
- Several operator variation revisions, especially with regards to lithium battery transport.
- Updates and corrections to various IATA Packing instructions
- New State variations for Aruba (AWG)
The IATA operator variations on the other hand are carrier-specific requirements that shippers must follow when offering dangerous goods by air. For example:
- AC-09 – Used and/or refurbished lithium batteries packed with or contained in equipment, Section II, packed in an overpack are not accepted for carriage as cargo
- FX-05 â€“ Aims to clarify its acceptance criteria for lithium batteries.
- FX-09 â€“ Requires â€œAll Packed in One and Overpack shipments to or from the US to comply with segregation requirements of 49 CFR 77.848
- FX-10 â€“ Outlines requirements for Accessible Dangerous Goods (ADG) and Inaccessible Dangerous Goods (IDG) dropped off at staffed FedEx locations.
- EK-02 â€“ Expanded its list of dangerous goods that will NOT be accepted for carriage as cargo.
IATA also made changes to packing instructions (PI) which may be relevant if you use PI 360, 361, 362, 363, or 364 for preparing your dangerous goods air shipments.
For a full list of variations, amendments, and packing instructions click HERE
Donâ€™t let this new yearâ€™s resolution of reading more fall to the wayside. Get industry news and regulation changes delivered electronically to you by opting in to our newsletter. Now there is no excuse not to read more. Transportation Compliance Associates also offers industry leading training, consulting, and full compliance solutions. For a FREE consultation, you can reach us at (724) 899-4100 or check us out at learnhazmat.com and one of our team members will help you decide what industry leading training and compliance program best suits your needs.